I have an addiction to some things that very few people know about. One of them is this blog about UH football. As many of you know, my mom came to Hawaii straight out of high school to go to the University of HI. She loved it and made lifelong friends while attending UH.
I was brainwashed into believing that UH was the greatest place. Nothing wrong with that since I ended up going there too. I loved the experience and have awesome memories. I made lifelong friends and wouldn't change it for the world.
Anyway, another thing that has been a part of my life for a long time is football. Put the two together and you got someone who loves UH football. That is exactly what attracted me to the Warrior Beat blog. I got involved with the blog first as a lurker during the legislative hearings about the football program. This was when things were going in a bad direction under the leadership (or lack thereof) of Herman Fraiser.
As I read the blog, faithfully every day, I noticed that the regulars were really nice people. They were open about who they were and they were willing to help others without hesitation. I posted a little but I lurked much more. I actually would enjoy reading the non-football stuff more than the football stuff. Kinda funny.
I did take a "vacation" from reading during a time when my husband and mom kind of got on me for reading it. My husband would tease me that Stephen (the blog author) was my boyfriend and my mom would comment about how it was a waste of time. Funny is, for me, the blog is a place of comfort. It is a place where I can be myself yet not let people know everything about me. I can have an opinion on stuff and not feel like I am offending people. I laugh there more than I laugh in my day to day activities sometimes. I feel for people who I've never even met in person. They welcome me into their conversations and they treat me kindly. It is just a nice place to go.
Is the blog a waste of time? I think reading books all day is a waste of time. I think watching too much t.v. is a waste of time. I think working hours and hours over your work day is a waste of time. But, if that is what makes you happy, do it. But, don't criticize me for doing something that makes me happy, teaches me new things and causes me no harm.
If you want to check out the blog, it is the Tsaikos on my blog roll. also, lizkauai and gigi-hawaii are two regulars at the Warrior Beat Blog. Check out their blogs. I do-faithfully everyday.
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
...big grin...
Hey- joy in our hearts is the fuel we need to make it through the day!
My dysfunctional family is getting more functional every day. Having a happy momma makes all the difference in the world.
YOU GO, GIRL!!!
Hi stacyJ!
Please share your email address with me. I just noticed I do not have it and I occasionally send out Tsai-ko related messages. Optional, of course.
stevem.hnl@gmail.com
Post a Comment