Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Story of How We Became Six (Part One)

I met my husband in the fall of 1997. We were both working at the same place, but, for different agencies. I was employed by the DOE and he was employed by DHS. During our first meeting, I remember thinking, "this guy is arrogant". He says he thought that I, "thought I was all that". Our first impressions couldn't have been farther from the truth.

I never really got to talk to him until late '97. He seemed nice and I enjoyed talking story with him. We talked about our backgrounds but nothing deep. Then, in January of '98, we made a $20 bet on who would win the Super Bowl. To tell you the truth, I can't even remember who I bet on. Nonetheless, I lost. So, I was ready to pay up on my bet but he hadn't been to work in a few days. Come to find out, his grandfather had passed away.

Eventually, in May of '98, we ended up going on our first date. It was to an indoor arena football game. The best part of the date was when the visiting team lost their luggage (equipment) and the game was delayed for over an hour. We sat in the stands and just talked story. It was great.

On Christmas morning of 1998, my husband proposed to me. We were married just 9 months later.

We had planned to start a family immediately after getting married. I was 25 years old and husband was 30. We figured it was the right time and why not. We both loved kids and wanted to begin having our own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see one thing I could help you with that would enable you to cross off mucho more things off your list.

Wanna know what it is?

Anonymous said...

Your life reminds me of Jacquelyn Mitchard's, who is a columnist and novelist. Her "The Deep End of the Ocean" became a Hollywood movie.

She, too, had trouble conceiving. She adopted, but later also gave birth to her own.

Google her.