Usually, I wear my wedding band, then my great grandmother's ring, then my engagement ring. Well, the nurses at the clinic worked hard to remove the rings. First, my engagement ring. When it finally came off, my finger looked mangled. Then, I thought, I hope they can get Grandma's one off. Eventually, it came off. After those two came off, the doctor thought that the band was okay because there was some give in the area and she thought that the swelling wouldn't get any worse. I left the clinic after picking up some medicine.
Within 30 minutes of leaving the clinic, my finger swelled so much that I had to return to the clinic. Due to the "trauma" that my finger had from the first two rings, the doctor recommended that the band be cut off.
This is the nurse who was given the task of cutting it.
Most people ask me if I cried. I did. I never knew how important my wedding band was until that day. Most people are attached to their diamond rings but for me, that band symbolized something at that very moment. The diamond was given to me well before we got married, but that band was "THE RING" that my husband gave me on that special day.
When I left (with the ring in two pieces in a specimen cup), I felt naked and sad. But, I knew it was better than loosing my finger.
So, months have passed and I only wear my Grandma's ring and my diamond. Deep down inside, I wanted to get my ring fixed but, where? when? how much would it cost? I secretly wished that my husband would fix it for me and surprise me with it for our anniversary.
LOW AND BEHOLD...Today is our 9th anniversary and my husband left a jewelry box on the bathroom counter. At first, I thought, how nice of him to get me jewelry, but, I'd rather have my ring fixed. I opened the box and found......my wedding band. I don't think there could have been a better gift to celebrate my anniversary. I LOVE IT.
And, the next time I get a bee sting, I'm taking all my rings off, immediately.
2 comments:
What a great story!!!
touching story!
I never wear my rings at home. I wear them only when I go somewhere special, but never to the bank or market. If you see me with my watch, then you will also see the rings on my finger.
Just don't like to wear jewelry unless necessary.
Post a Comment