Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Story of How We Became Six (Part Three)

Failed technological interventions left us searching for answers. We were at our lowest point and we needed to do something different if we wanted to become parents.

Before we were even married, both my husband and I had talked about wanting to adopt as children. I know for me, I would always see African American children and say, I want to adopt one. For some reason, I never pictured myself adopting a Caucasian child. Strange, but true.

Here we were, the doctors told us that there was nothing different they could do unless we opted to have a surrogate mother. Ugh, no thanks! So, we started looking into adopting. We attended an informational meeting about foreign adoptions, which was discouraging. For starters, in order to adopt in countries like China, you have to be married for a certain amount of time and be 30 years old. We hadn't been married long enough at that point and I wasn't old enough. Then, there was the Cambodia thing where the government had closed down the adoptions. On top of it all, those adoptions cost several thousands of dollars. After just paying for in-vitro, where were we going to come up with the money?

Then, one day, my husband was watching a t.v. commercial about the need for people to adopt local kids. He called the phone number and they say, the rest is history!

No comments: