We have always taught our kids to do things for themselves at a very young age. All our kids could dress themselves before they were 2 years of age. Even Em, who turns two this October picks out her own clothes and gets dressed with minimal assistance when needed.
Bell was only 15 months old when Lee was born. Lee was 15 months when Cody came home. And, Cody was 8 1/2 months when Em entered the club. So, all of them feed themselves early, talked early and dressed themselves early. But, now that there are no knew babies around, is there really any reason to push them into more independence?
The newest independent milestone is that Bell is showering on her own. She is 5 years now and I felt that it was the right time for her to start. She is learning to recognize which bottle is the shampoo and which is the baby wash. She actually does a really good job washing her hair and her body.
But, their are always those funny times when a child is learning something new and they don't know the correct terms or how to say what they really mean. So, the other night, Lee came out of the bathroom into the living room where both my husband and I were. "Mommy, can you turn off the cold water heater and turn on the warm one?" Lee said. Huh?!? Turn off the cold water heater. Um, I've never heard of that one before. My husband went to go check it out and discovered that the water was taking a little longer than normal to warm up and Bell wanted us to turn on the water heater to warm up the water.
Hahaha, turn off the cold water heater mom! I thought it was funny.
Friday, August 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Stacy,
I just scrolled down and saw your group photo. You all look splendid!
Yeah, funny expressions -- both verbal and facial -- are things we will always remember as the years go by.
Memories in the making!
Wow- so many days away from the routine... sorry so late!
I love the way you catch things going on with the kids.
Cold water heater makes sense to me!
Youu-hoo... Stacy, where you stay?
Post a Comment