We attended our first "real" parent teacher conference this week for Bell. Overall, great. On the other hand, there are some areas she needs help with.
Actually, the conference started with the teacher telling us that it must be interesting living with Bell. Well, it kinda is. For example, sometimes, Bell will talk and answer you and things are fine and dandy. Other times, you can ask her something and she will just look at you. And look at you. And look at you. I guess she does that in school too. The problem with that is that there are subject areas that are evaluated based on verbal participation. For example, science and social studies are done in circle time. When the teacher calls on Bell, she just stares or if the teacher opens it up for answers, she doesn't volunteer. No answers, so no way of evaluating if she is getting it or not.
Bell is shy. Always has been. I ran into the school counselor (who happens to be a friend of ours) and while talking, she also shared that Bell doesn't talk to her in school either. But, "Aunty" is going to work with Bell to get her to break out of this behavior.
Oh, and one more bit of info we got during the conference, she kicked a boy that day. This, mind you, is the second such incident. The first time she hit a boy, he was trying to hug her and she hauled off and smacked him. I don't know if I am disappointed in her hitting other kids or I'm proud of her for sticking up for herself and not letting boys get away with bugging her.
Sunday, November 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment